- Cool drinks. Cold drinks can help you cool down, of course but they also help you stay hydrated in the heat. Staying hydrated is SUPER important when you are pregnant. If you get dehydrated it can cause headaches, contractions, low amniotic fluid levels and in extreme cases neural tube birth defects in the baby. Many women find water boring and may be trying to avoid caffeine but there are plenty of other choices. Fresh fruit juices, herbal ice tea, coconut water, smoothies, lemon or limeades, mocktails. Try googling cool drinks for pregnant women and you will be amazed at what comes up. Like this yummy Pina Colada mock tail from Parents.com . Combine 6 oz of frozen coconut yogurt, ½ a frozen banana, ½ a 20 oz can of crushed pineapple and a cup of milk and blend till desired consistency.
- Water, water everywhere. Go swimming! Nothing cools you off like a dip in the pool! Even just putting your feet in the kid’s pool can help. Protect yourself from the sun though, especially around water, as pregnant women often burn more easily.
- Wear light weight and light coloured clothing. Seriously, it helps. And a hat can be a lifesaver.
- Try and doing your outside work during the earlier and later times of the day when the sun is not directly overhead. Put your feet up when you can to help with and avid swelling.
- Carry a spray bottle with you to spritz yourself when you feel too warm. Or even better get this two-in-one drink and spritz sports water bottle from amazon so you can cool off and stay hydrated.
Above all else, rest when you need to and don’t be afraid to ask for help. Summer can be a difficult time to be pregnant but most people are more than willing got lend a hand.